Identities: Identity & Film blog task

Complete the following tasks using Media Factsheet 142: Identity and Film. You'll find it in our Media Factsheet archive on the Media Shared drive: M:\Resources\A Level\Media Factsheets

1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.

  1. I am a male 
  2. I am 18 years old
  3. I am from Nepal 
  4. I am studying Btec Level 3 Business and A level Media at Greenford High School Sixth Form 
  5. I am in love with music 
  6. I am in love with fashion 
  7. I am a huge fan of Arsenal football club 
  8. I am working as a sales associate in Selfridges 
  9. I am a very confident person that can communicate with people well 
  10. I am a very enthusiastic person that likes to have fun 
  11. I am a person that loves jokes and banter 
  12. I love watching films especially superhero films 
  13. I am competitive 
  14. I am open to critical comments 
  15. I am very talkative 
  16. I am financially driven 
  17. I expect to give but not expect to receive 
  18. I like to stand out through the clothes I wear 
  19. I am who I am no matter what people say 
  20. I am oustanding 
2) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

Social Groups: 

  • I am 18 years old 
  • I am a male 
  • I am from Nepal 
  • I am studying Btec Level 3 Business and A Level Media at Greenford High School Sixth Form 
  • I am working as a sales associate in Selfridges 
Ideological beliefs 
  • I am who I am no matter what people say 
  • I am financially driven 
  • I expect to give but not expect to receive 
  • I am open to critical comments
  • I am competitive 
  • I am very talkative 

Interests 

  • I am in love with music (rap) 
  • I am in love with fashion 
  • I am a huge fan of Arsenal Football Club
  • I am a very enthusiastic person that likes to have fun 
  • I am a person that enjoys jokes and banter 
  • I love watching films especially superhero films 
  • I like to stand out through the clothes I wear 


3) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson or simply choose your favourite film if you weren't present). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?

- My favourite film is Spider-Man. What thisfilm says about me is that I believe I am similar to Peter Parker in terms of personality. He is hilarious and jokes around everytime even in serious situations but knows when to control it. I believe I am the same as I do tend to say jokes most of the times.  

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film:
  • Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert)
  • Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme)
  • The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee)
  • The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko)
  • Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)
How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

Wilde (1997) - The trailer of this film shows how the audiences should be encouraged to support individuality as everyone through her statement "for being himself" suggesting how everyone is unique. 

Philadelphia (1993) - This movie encourages audiences to understand that being gay doesn't make you any different from another person in terms of jobs and society.

The Wedding Banquet (1993) - This movie explores how family and traditional ideologies affect your treatment as a LGBT member. It looks at how kids have to hide their identity from their parents due to fear of their opinion and treatment as a result.

The kids are alright (2010) - This movie explores the relationship between lesbian parents and subverts the typical family dynamic of having two parent of two different genders.

Pride (2014) - This film highlights the rebellion of the LGBT groups as they want society to accept their identity and to show that they aren't different purely due to their sexuality. The ignorance is highlighted by the elder generation when they ask "can you clear something up for me about the gays?" The idea of 'the other' can be referenced here as we see that there is a disparity between the two types of relationships. 

5) How have representations of LGBT issues changed in recent years? What examples from across the media (not just film) can you provide to support this view?

Representation has certainly improved in recent years as we see that movies such as Moonlight are showing that being gay, especially in groups that would typically be resistant to the LGBT, is nothing to be ashamed of. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Article 2

NDM: The decline in Newspapers - MM case studies

Article 3